On Tuesday, May 24th in Uvalde, Texas 19 children and 2 teachers were brutally killed in an elementary school shooting, by an eighteen year old armed with an AR-15 and handgun. The shooting, in this largely Latinx community, claimed the lives of mostly Latinx children and adults. This happened just 10 days after Black and Asian communities faced fatal mass shootings at a grocery store in Buffalo, NY and a church in Southern California.
Y Hora Que?
In conversations with our gente, we heard the need to have space to process the traumatic event that happened to the chiquitos and educators in Uvalde. The horrific act, combined with the lack of real and rapid response by the law enforcement, is too much to bear alone. That’s why on Sunday May 30, we coordinated an event where our compas at Latinx Therapists Action Network could hold space for Latinx parents and caregivers to gather, process, and grieve together.
Resources for Grief & Trauma
Below we want to share resources with you that can help in understanding and addressing feelings of grief, loss, and pain. We hope that they will serve as a useful guide as you navigate conversations with familia y queridxs. Special thank you to Latinx Therapists Action Network and Aida Manduley for sharing these resources with us.
- Tending to Traumatic Grief / Atendiendo al duelo traumático with Faviola Agustin, LCSW and the Latinx Therapists Action Network
- Understanding Vicarious Trauma & Grief / Comprendiendo Trauma Vicario y El Duelo with Aida Manduley, LICSW and the Latinx Therapists Action Network
- “Mourning in Puerto Rican” Spotify playlist by Aida Manduley
- “Canciones de Duelo” Apple playlist by Griselda Tomaino
- “Navigating Anxiety and Grief” episode from La Cura Podcast
7 Grief Practices from “The Artists’ Grief Deck”
- Exercising Your Grief / Ejercitando su dolor
- Making a Grief Doll / Haciendo una muñeca de duelo
- Taking a Walk With Pleasure and Sorrow / Caminando con placer y dolor
- Let Others Know What You Need / Permítale a los demás saber lo que usted necesita
- Be in the Sun / Estar bajo el sol
- Stopping Thinking / Dejar de pensar
- Coping with Waves of Grief / Hacer frente a las olas de dolor
Stay connected with us as we continue to share resources and upcoming events to expand our organizing power against gun violence in Texas and far beyond. Learn more about Mijente and our values and principles here: mijente.net/our-dna